Monday, August 25, 2008

Second Half Starts

Trufant is having a shaky night by my eyes, blowing another ankle tackle. For what it's worth, Kelly Jennings made a great open-field tackle on the very next play. The Seahawks do end up stopping the Chargers on fourth down, but that wasn't better of a showing, especially for the pass rush.

As Carlson makes a catch on the Seahawks first offensive series I'm reminded that I didn't mention him in the halftime wrap-up. He's had a number of nice catches.

Seahawks get a third shot at third-and-one, Weaver gets the carry, and they convert. That's two of three by my count. Both of the successful attempts were Weaver carries, the first one led by Owen Schmitt, the second led by David Kirtman. What's missing here? T.J. Duckett. Either the coaches already know what they have with Duckett (or Duckett is inactive... damn tape delay), or they want to see if Weaver can be a legitimate short yardage back. Well, Weaver is two-for-two. And now that I think about it, Duckett has got to be inactive, right? How else would he not see any action given that he may be on the bubble?

Jordan Kent just made a big catch in the middle (let me get my foot out of my mouth) for a big catch on second and 25. Then Kent makes a huge catch on a busted third-and-two play. That looked like an incredibly difficult catch, certainly one I was expecting Kent to drop... except that he didn't. Those two clutch catches probably just earned him a roster spot, barring anything horrendous later in the game. (I just rewatched the play another three times. That catch on third down was impressive.)

Geeze, Frye is pretty mobile. He avoided two sacks just on this play (looks like the second team line is in - no wonder protection was so bad on that play) and ended up with at least eight yards on first down. Then Weaver converts a second and short.

Ed note: With this being my first 'live' blog and all, I figured I'd have some bumps to smooth out. One I just noticed is that many of my comments make a lot of sense to me while watching the game, but don't provide a good reference to the plays they're about. I'll figure out some way to fix that.

A nice drive stalls in the red zone, but the Hawks at least come away with a field goal. 10-10. I'd be surprised if Rivers comes out again, especially with him limping on his last series.

No comments: