Thursday, September 4, 2008

Preseason Week Four Is a Total Tease

Back from vacation. I taped the Seahawks fourth preseason game and was planning on writing about it, but, really, that game was a big pile of garbage. With the exception of Seneca Wallace (and a few other nice performances I'm not picking out because I didn't watch all that closely), the game resembled some of the week one college games I saw over the weekend. I don't complain as much as most about the NFL preseason. Of course, I'd rather have 18 regular season games and 2 preseason instead of what we have now, but I still enjoy the first three weeks of preseason games as a way to preview teams and get a look at teams' depth, specifically for the Seahawks. Week four, however, is awful. I think I saw a stat that said 37 of the combined 44 starters between the Seahawks and Raiders wouldn't start (if play at all). That's horrendous. Unfortunately, I don't think shortening the preseason will necessarily get rid of the 'week four' game. Coaches will still want to give many of their starters an off-week before the regular season starts. If the preseason gets shortened to two games, I imagine the first game will resemble the current week three, 'tune-up game', and week four will be the 'determine who gets cut' game - i.e. the twos and threes will be on the field the entire time. Still, that will be better than what we have now.

No comments: