Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I Just Found a Reason to Watch Sunday's Game

First, I'll qualify that statement.  Other than Sunday or Monday night games, maybe two Seahawk games get televised in LA each season.  Last weekend was one such lucky (or unlucky) weekend.  For the remaining weekends I have to decide whether I want to spend the $20 (more if I treat my girlfriend for coming with me) to sit at a sports bar for three hours to watch the game.  Some weekends, even if I have nothing else going on, it's just not worth it.  This weekend's game was one I was on the fence about.  Then, courtesy of Mike Sando, I learn that Jordan Kent has been signed.  Awesome.  I don't know much about evaluating football talent but I do know this: Jordan Kent caught passes, which more than can be said for Courtney Taylor, who incidentally was the player released in favor of Kent.

So, this means Kent is playing this weekend, right?  Well, after thinking for a moment, not necessarily.  It only means Holmgren wants to retain the option of activating, and possibly playing, Kent.  Still, that speaks to progress - or a serious regression by Courtney Taylor.  What a fall from grace.

Another interesting tidbit from Sando - the Colts released Justin Forsett.  Huh.  So, if the Seahawks initially wanted him on the practice squad, they'd put a claim in for him now, right?  I mean, has anything changed since he was lost to the Colts?  I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying...

Anyway, what I like best about signing Kent, and maybe this is just me, but Kent brings excitement to the game.  He brings an extra 'gamer' element, which is something that could be used on game day.  I haven't heard much reporting about Kent since he was cut, but last I heard he wasn't learning Deion Branch's position.  Courtney Taylor was, but he obviously hadn't learned it enough.  Kent is so inexperienced that I wouldn't expect he would be inserted for Branch in this game.  So who fills in for Branch at flanker?  Colbert?  Engram has filled in at one or both of the outside receiver spots before, so maybe move him outside with Bumpus in the slot?  Or use two tight ends with Carson in the slot?  As for split end, it'll be between Robinson, McMullen, or Kent.  I'm tired of McMullen - he was a good story in the Rams game, but otherwise he's hurt more than helped.  If Kent doesn't play because Robinson is healthy enough to go, I'd be fine with that.

No comments: