Monday, October 6, 2008

The Defense as a Whole

I'm not sure why I decided to single-out Julian Peterson first, because the defense as a whole failed miserably yesterday.  I'm not the best person to give advice as to where to defense should go from here, but I'll talk about where to go because I can't get it out of my head.

Somewhere (FieldGulls? SeahawkAddicts?) I heard the suggestion of putting Hobbs in as the starting corner opposite Trufant.  What's the worse that could happen? (Snark alert)  The current starting right corner is already getting torched.  Hobbs looked great in preseason (I know, it's preseason, I don't really care right now), and Wilson is more of a nickel corner (or so I've read).

Of course, if we're shaking up the secondary, Brian Russell should probably be benched too.  Babineaux?  I guess if I'm looking for something different, sure, try him there instead.  Could we put C.J. Wallace at strong safety and move Grant to Free Safety?  I'd be up for trying that.

Tapp is really starting to look like a second-round bust.  That guy can't get any pressure off of right end.  I'd love to suggest playing Lawrence Jackson inside a-la Justin Tuck (they're nearly identical in size, btw) to aid in the pass rush, but Tapp is hardly reliable as his backup.  Jason Babin was getting great pressure in the preseason, so we had to cut him.  Meanwhile Baraka Atkins has zero tackles in four games.  I don't even know which games he's been active.

Sigh.... this is just a day full of rants.

No comments: